Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Asparagus, Pasta, Bacon...OH MY!

I have been saving this dish for a rainy day!  Ok, not really.  I just haven't had a chance to put this all together and as you can see, today, April 10th, I am putting some much love into my bloggie!  

This recipe was YUMO!  It was full of flavor.  It was easy to make.  It pleased the non-Weight Watchers family member (hubby).  It will be enjoyed again at this homestead!  


Penne with Asparagus and Bacon
8 points+ per 1 1/2 cup servings
Serves 6 people generously 
*adapted from weightwatchers.com

1 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, thin-variety, trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces 

12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, penne

1 cup(s) cherry tomatoes, chopped

2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped  

1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar 

3 slice(s) uncooked reduced-fat bacon, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup of egg beaters (or 2 large eggs slightly beaten)    

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground   

2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream

  • Fill a large pot with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook for 2 minutes. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon; immediately submerge in cold water to stop them from cooking. Drain cold water; set aside.

     

  • Cook pasta according to package directions using the same boiling water. When pasta is done, drain but reserve 1 cup of cooking water. 

  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine tomatoes, parsley and vinegar; season to taste 
    with salt, if desired.


  • Set a large skillet over medium heat; cook bacon to desired doneness. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon so it drains but leaves bacon drippings in pan.

     
    Add cooked pasta to pan; toss to coat thoroughly and remove pan from heat.

  • Add eggs, salt and pepper to pan; toss well to coat. Stir in sour cream, cooked bacon and about 1/2 cup pasta water (or more to taste ) to loosen sauce, if desired.


  • Stir in tomato mixture  and asparagus.  Gently toss and serve immediately. 


  • Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband started an asparagus bed a few years ago, and this is the first year we are allowed to eat from it. I am so nervous to try asparagus, but my husband assures me I will love it. This will be one of the recipes I try asparagus with. Thank you for sharing, it looks really good.

El said...

oh wow..... that looks soooo goooood!!!!

PlumPetals said...

Looks fantastic!!! I've been looking for an asparagus recipe to try - this may be the one!